Tuesday, April 6, 2010

To Game Darkly, Savagely, or Mutantly? Or All Three

I am gaming like its 1997!
By that I mean, I am playing in a game of Vampire: The Masquerade, and I have a tattered copy of the Shadowrun rules (2e) sitting on the nightstand beside my bed.
I’ve not yet tackled the Shadowrun book (though I do have many warm memories of playing it back in the day) as I’ve been absorbed by the Vampire stuff. I forgot how solid the story was that supported the game. I know the whole Caine, generation, Gehenna – thing wore some gamers out after awhile, but I still have fond memories of it . . . so much so that I bought the new World of Darkness rulebook and Vampire: The Requiem.
More on that in a second  . . .
But why the sudden rush of nostalgia.
Well, first off it is not nostalgia. It is the search for a better, or at least different, game than the iterations of D&D I’ve been playing regularly for the last bit. I love Pathfinder, and I love 4e – but the heart wants what the heart wants. And mine wants something different, something new, something I’ve yet to fully test out.
That has led me to 3 games:
- New World of Darkness – I am/was an avid fan of the The Masquerade, and as such swallowing The Requiem’s more toolkit approach has taken some getting used to. That said, I see opportunities for great, dark, gritty games. Also, considering Mage: The Awakening and Hunter: The Vigil . . .
- Savage Worlds - I am far too ignorant about this system. I’ve just recently started researching it a bit, and will likely be purchasing the Explorer’s Edition book soon. I’ve got hot ideas of running a Dark Sun campaign with this system.
- Mutants & Masterminds – One of my favorite gaming systems out there. I’ve never run with it my gaming friends though – it has always been online or one-shots with other people. Superhero games can be difficult to pull off in my experience, but this system is so vibrant it begs to be given another shot.

--------------------
Anyways, right now I am ‘preparing’ a Requiem game set in Detroit. I am about 50/50 on running a Masquerade campaign (Camarilla, Sabbat) using the new rules and just running a game that cleaves more to Requiem’s suggested content.
The decision has been difficult and I am going to pose it to my player’s on Thursday during our Pathfinder game. On one hand we all love the Caine story, the Camarilla vs. Sabbat action – but Requiem is very open to such playstyles too, though it loses important things like, oh, the Tremere clan . . .
Anyways, I am posting to warn those who read this blog (and its occasional updates) that my posts will be shying away from D&D for the foreseeable future to focus on these systems.
Hopefully this week I will detail my plans for Detroit by Night . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment